Thursday, July 8, 2010

Back on the Road and I'll I can think about

I’m back on the road again. This time to North Carolina to drop kids at camp. You know I love a road trip if you’ve read my other posts because yes it gives me free time to think, read and dream about jewelry (husband drives). It reminds me of summer and the excitement that goes with that. One of my favorite summer jewelry combinations has always been Turquoise, yellow gold and diamonds. I think its so fresh but elegant set in the yellow gold. One of my new rings is going to have this exact combination. I just received the lot of stones yesterday that will be going into my new rings. I even brought them with me so I could study them and obsess over how their going to look put together. I hope if your following this blog your a jewelry person because only you could understand this obsession. By the way, if your just getting started like me FYI that this is the week that 47th street in NY closes. My caster is shut down for the week with my rings inside.. UGGG.....


Since the name of this blog is “The Making of a Jewelry Designer” I’m starting a new tips section. I’ll post my updates every Friday but I’ll promise to also post 1-10 of things I’ve learned that you might want to know in this business. Really, no need to reinvent the wheel and I 100% believe in passing it on... This is a really secretive business and it just doesn't need to be. The new section will be called “Did you know?” Also, feel free to e-mail if you have a question. If I know, I’ll tell you!


When I get back I’ll only have 2 weeks before I pack up and go to New York for the JA Summer show. I’m really excited about this show. Its much larger then the last one and I hope because I’ve gotten my name out a little more people will recognize me and stop by to check out the line.


I also have great news, my jewelry will be worn this coming season on the TV show “White Collar”. It starts next week!!! I know my jewelry made it into the 2nd, 3rd and 4th episodes and I’m waiting to hear about the rest. More to come but make sure you watch this coming Tuesday the 13th at 9:00pm. You can be sure I’ll have my DVR set to spot and shots I can of my jewelry.


I also posted some links of recent PR I’ve gotten. Some blogs have starting picking up my jewelry and a link to support the local arts in my community.


If your not yet a “Fan” of my Face Book page your may want to take a look. I post a lot more pictures and links on that site. Take a look at:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lauren-Sigman-Jewelry/232568401692?ref=ts





Cheers and happy continuation of summer.

L




Did you know...


  • The jewelry capital of the world likes to close down between in the week prior to and after 4th of July? If you do business in the district keep this mind when you need something on a tight schedule.
  • That building a jewelry business is like building a house. It always takes longer then you think and you better plan to go triple your budget.
  • This game is about longevity and perseverance. Design and talent tend to come secondary.
  • Its important to create a website that allows for direct sales as well as information for your wholesalers if your not going to be on the road at shows all year.
  • Finding a reliable, cost effective and quality stone provider is critical. If you cant travel to Tucson Arizona to the big February gem show you need to find some sources. I’ll be posting some that I really like in the next few months as I check them out more then once.
  • Follow your favorite successful designer and try to understand their model. It will help you develop your own.
  • This is a matter of opinion but PR is really important in the jewelry business. You don't need a PR firm but you do need to spend some time and dollars making sure you get some press. If you don't talk about you, who is?




More PR for LSJ
http://pattyphere.blogspot.com/2010_04_01_archive.html
http://crealdeartauction.com/auction.html

No comments:

Post a Comment