Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New Year-New Blog

New Year -New Blog
Its 2011 and I’m going to start the year off right. Yes, its one of my resolutions to keep up with my blog.
I had great intentions last year of updating my blog a few times a week. As the year went on I thought, once a week will be good. As it turns out, the second I put in motion a once a week commitment, I lost all control and haven't updated since. All I can say is that’s is been so busy. Busy is good, right? Busy is what a new designer trying to feel her way needs to be. I learned so much in 2010. For my first entry of “Making of a Jewelry Designer” let me recap my first year in business with 10 items I learned. 
  1. I still feel like I’m on an Island but I’ve had a few visitors now and again!
  2. There is no secret to success but there is a lot of secrecy in this business. Like any new business and industry your going to have to work your tail off. To make it even harder there are very few resources you can turn to unless your relative is in the business.  The good news is that I’ll be listing the ones that I found to be helpful in my future blogs. 
  3. You better be well financed or keep your jewelry passion as a hobby. Sorry to say, but the business is just to expensive to do this on a shoe string budget. 
  4. Keeping number 3 in mind, I’ve met many wonderful and talented designers this year  who use alternate materials other then high carat gold. If you plan to move forward without to much money behind you this could be a better option.
  5. Stores will not just buy from you because they like your collection!! They will want to watch you. See where your going next. See what other stores carry you. See what your next collection looks like, etc... In other words, they will want to make sure your sustainable!! Most successful stores that you want to be in will not only spend there money on buying your line, but they are committing to marketing your brand for you. They’re taking their valuable “real estate” within their cases to sell you. With that, they want to make sure your going to stay around a while. If your just starting out, build this into your business plan.
  6. I’m still learning to get out of my office!!! I found it easy this year to get caught behind my desk. So much to do, to much multitasking. What I learned is that you need to do all of that and more. The most important thing is to show up. Be seen and talk to a lot of people!! Its so easy to be forgotten.
  7. There are many stores you don't want.  I found its better to be selective about who carries my line then casting a wide net. It needs to be a good fit for both parties or your spending all of your time and resources on a one time order that’s leading to no where.
  8. I’ve learned who my jewelry company really is, not who I thought it was. I’ve been lucky enough to meet people this year who we’re brutally honest with me. Its not a bad thing really, quite the opposite. I’ve learned that my collection is a true line between fashion and fine. Once I understood that, I was able to make changes to my sales plan to target retail stores that focused on those types of designers.
  9. I’ve learned to put my ego away. This is a very personal business. My name is on it for goodness sake so its hard not to take everything personally!!! I’m learning that my collection does not have to be for everyone, its only has be for enough.
  10. I’ve learned to take my work seriously but not myself.
  11. One more for good luck:  I’ve learned that when ever I travel there seems to be a major weather storm in the country. I’ll try to let all of you know my future travel plans so you can plan to stay home!!!!!!!
Cheers to a wonderful and growing 2011!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment